Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Retro: Everything Old Is New Again!

Ah, I remember the days back when I was in college, when my father bought me a Praktica SLR camera (Russian made) so I could shoot with something other than a Kodak Signet 35 rangefinder camera (try shooting sports with that). It's what we could afford until I could buy a used Pentax Spotmatic. Prakticas lens quality was, shall I say challenging and the slr mirror was so loud it would wake up the dead. But you use what ya got or can afford.

Many moons ago a campy camera called the Holga came along and created a cult following. It's lens optics were a piece of work, but people loved the effect. People shot for many years with this simplistic wonder and had a whole lotta fun with it. Digital came along and that changed the playing field for the Holga. But those who loved the Holga created Photoshop actions, Lightroom presets that created the Holga effect. Take your picture an Holgaize it.

Well life goes on and so does Holgamania. Now you can for about $25.00 you can buy a Holga lens to put on your expensive DSLR, making you megapixel camera take pictures like a cheap plastic camera. So once again everything old is new again......sing it Peter Allen!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Lets not forget the Exakta!